Cheap'n'Chocolatey: Galfromdownunder 3+ minute Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake


This is my slightly healthier spin on the 5-minute Chocolate Mug Cake recipe circulating furiously around the internet.
I say 3+ minutes because abandoning it in the nuker for 5 minutes can lead to burned bits - better to coax it gently to doneness ... here's me doing the dishes in County Kerry back in 1999





Galfromdownunder 3+ minute Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
(with original, non-vegan substitutions indicated)

4 Tablespoons buckwheat pancake mix (or ordinary flour)

3-4 Tablespoons Splenda/Stevia (or sugar)

2 Tablespoons good cocoa (I used Fair Trade Organic unsweetened)

2 tbsp no-sugar fruit conserve (not in original recipe - I used Wholefoods grapejuice sweetened Raspberry spread)

1 glob of soy yoghurt (or 1 Egg)

3 Tablespoons almond milk (or regular milk/half&half)

3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil (or regular oil)

Few chocolate drops/chunks (optional - I used 70% chunks because I like it dark)

Few nuts (optional)

1 Mug

Method:

Mix dry ingredients in 1 mug.
Mix wet ingredients in another.
Make well in the dry mug and pour in wet.
Mix well with a teaspoon - don't leave flour in corners, not a good look
Mixture should resemble thick pancake mix in consistency. Add more liquid sparingly if too stiff.
Microwave 3 mins on high - until cake rises and then settles in mug.
Test with knife - check sides too.
If gooey in center, m'wave 1 minute more, test, m'wave 30 sec more, test.
Should need no more than 5 mins total.
Let rest in mug a bit - it's still cooking.
Run knife around and turn out on plate.
Good with cream, ice cream or someting baaaaad.



I'd post a picture but it was eaten by the occupants of this house before I got a chance!

I slammed this one together after my Uncle sent me the original and I couldn't be bothered going out in a Manhattan snowstorm to buy the ingredients. I've always been partial to getting to a destination via an uncommon route - story of my life. As a kitchen manager on a Vipassana course, I found a flour made from pulverized oats made a perfectly acceptable lasagne, sauce etc ...

Microwave cakes aren't new - there are moist, puddingy recipes based on pumpkin and other ingredients dating back to 20-25 years ago ... as long as you don't mind a puddingy texture. And as long as you believe that microwaves don't do health-hazardous things to the structure of food as the Toaster Oven Lobby claims.

Comments

Unknown said…
It sounds gloriously decadent. Under the sweetener options, do you mean an amount of stevia or splenda equivalent to 3 or 4 tablespoon of sugar, or the other way around?

Popular posts from this blog

Curry Rice: Japan's cheapest and choosiest family meal

Papa Kebab: is this the best falafel in New York?

$3.50: MUJI's minimalist metrosexual toothbrush